Bert Selva is president and CEO of Shea Homes, one of the largest, privately-held homebuilders in America operating in California, Arizona, Colorado, Washington, Nevada, Texas and Florida. Shea Homes was awarded the coveted “Builder of the Year Award” by Professional Builder Magazine and was also named one of “America’s Best Builders” by Builder Magazine.
Bert joined Shea Homes in 1996. He previously served as the president of the Colorado division, which he started in September 1996. During his tenure, he was responsible for all homebuilding and commercial development activities in Colorado. Under his leadership, the 22,000-acre Highlands Ranch was acquired and developed, and today is one of the nation’s leading master-planned communities.
Prior to joining Shea Homes, Bert was a senior executive and involved in all aspects of the start-up and business operations of the Colorado division of KB Home. He previously served as chief financial officer with Signature Homes in Orange County, California. Additionally, Bert has served as a management consultant with Arthur Andersen & Company, and as an international banker working in Hong Kong, Seoul, Korea and Tokyo, Japan.
Bert holds a Business degree from the University of Southern California and an MBA from UCLA. Bert is also fluent in Spanish.
Bert has been awarded with several prestigious awards, including:
- “CEO of the Year” by Builder and Big Builder magazines.
- Inducted into the California Homebuilding Hall of Fame.
- Hearthstone “Humanitarian Lifetime Achievement Award”which included a $100,000 donation to the charity of his choice.
- “Legend of Residential Marketing” award by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).
- Inducted into the Marvin Hall of Fame for Design Excellence.
- “Builder of the Year” award by the California Building Industry Association of Southern California.
Bert’s involvement on various boards/committees consists of:
- Executive Committee member for the USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Member of the Board of St. Ignatius College Preparatory in San Francisco.
- Prior Chairman of the Board, HomeAid America, Inc., (developer of housing for the transitionally homeless.)
- National Vice President, MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association)/Augie’s Quest (focused on treatments and cures for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS/Lou Gehrig’s disease).
- Member of Leading Builders of America (a coalition of homebuilder CEOs supporting legislation affecting the homebuilding industry).
- Member of the Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO).
Bert and his family reside in Newport Beach, California.